Chicken Souvlaki Skewers Recipe
Whether you're having a backyard BBQ party or just craving something fun for dinner, these skewers are the perfect solution. If you don't have a grill, don't worry, this recipe can also be modified to be cooked on your stove.
Brushed with lemon juice, these skewers offer a delicious summery flavor. This meal will keep your belly full and happy which will help you stay committed to your healthy journey. If you're not following the Smart for Life Program, feel free to enjoy this meal with warm pita bread.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Non-stick, zero-calorie cooking spray
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. dill, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Pita bread (optional - not recommended if on SFL Program)
1. Heat grill on medium-high. Toss chicken in coriander, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stick chicken cubes onto skewers. Spray a sheet of foil with non-stick spray, place foil on grill with chicken skewers on it.
2. Spray another sheet of foil with non-stick spray, fold edges a bit to create a bowl shape and place tomatoes and garlic into it. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper then place on grill.
3. Cook, spinning chicken skewers and tossing tomatoes often, 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Just before you take skewers off grill, brush with 1 tbsp of lemon juice, let sit a minute and then remove food from grill.
4. In a bowl, toss lettuce, onion, and dill with 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt & pepper. Serve chicken, tomatoes, and salad.
1. Heat stove on medium. Toss chicken in coriander, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spray a grill pan with non-stick spray, place on stove with chicken cubes in it.
2. Spray another pan with non-stick spray then add tomatoes and garlic to it. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook on medium.
3. Cook, flipping chicken cubes and tossing tomatoes periodically, 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Just before you take the chicken off the stove, brush with 1 tbsp of lemon juice, let sit a minute and then remove food from stove.
4. In a bowl, toss lettuce, onion, and dill with 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt & pepper. Serve chicken on the skewers with tomatoes and salad.